For completeness I bisected the cause of the issue (introduced in mutter
43.1):

909616b20876478bc56932cd18c8e85e982645f6 is the first bad commit
commit 909616b20876478bc56932cd18c8e85e982645f6
Author: Sebastian Wick <sebastian.w...@redhat.com>
Date:   Tue May 3 18:47:57 2022 +0200

    window-actor/wayland: Draw black background for fullscreen windows

    Fullscreen Wayland toplevel surfaces don't need to respect the
    configured size in which case it should be shown centered on the monitor
    with a black background. The black background becomes part of the window
    geometry.

    The surface container is responsible for correctly culling the surfaces
    and making sure the surface actors are removed from the actor tree to
    avoid destroying them.

    The window actor culling implementation assumes all surfaces to be direct
    children of said actor. The introduction of the surface_container actor
    broke that assumption. This implements the culling interface in
    MetaWindowActorWayland which is aware of the actor surface_container and
    fullscreen state.

    v2: Fix forwarding culling to surface even if there is a background.
    v2: Don't alter passed geometry.
    v2: Update window geometry code documentation to reflect these changes.
    v2: Only use constrained rect if we're acked fullscreen.

    Part-of: <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/merge_requests/2338>

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to wayland in Ubuntu.

  gnome-terminal transparency ignored in full screen mode

Status in Mutter:
  New
Status in wayland:
  New
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in wayland package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Ubuntu 23.04 running wayland
  gnome-terminal 3.46.7-1ubuntu1

  In gnome-terminal, I have set the transparency to some amount. When I
  go to full screen (F11), the transparency is lost and the default
  transparency is used. When I exit full screen, the transparency comes
  back and I can see in the profile settings that the transparency has
  not changed.

  It seems that tranparency was accidentally removed, and then re-added via

https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/tree/debian/patches/0001-Restore-transparency.patch?h=applied/ubuntu/lunar-devel

  However, maybe something was missed with regards to full screen.