closing this rather old issue. sorry for not addressing this earlier.
Please could you recheck with the recent 14.04 LTS or 14.10 releases and
reopen the issue if the problem persists?

** Changed in: gdb (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gdb in Ubuntu.

  'Cannot find new threads: generic error' when debugging certain
  applications

Status in “gdb” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gdb

  When debugging bug #423252 I noticed that GDB looses control over the
  target application if it executes getpwnam when using libnss-ldap. GDB
  displays the following error message:

  Cannot find new threads: generic error

  It is impossible to continue to work with the application after the
  above message has been displayed. For example, trying to execute
  'next' results in the following error message:

  Cannot execute this command while the selected thread is running.

  I suspect this could actually be a kernel bug rather than a GDB bug
  (I've seen a fair deal of ptrace breakage at work), but I have no way
  of verifying that at the moment.

  Package: gdb 7.1-1ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-20.30-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
  Date: Wed Apr 14 22:35:03 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" - Beta amd64 (20100318)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gdb