In the upcoming version of ubuntu-advantage-tools, this will be shown in pro
status as
SERVICE          ENTITLED  STATUS    DESCRIPTION
livepatch        yes       warning   Current kernel is not supported

The pro status --format json section for livepatch will look like:
    {
      "available": "yes",
      "blocked_by": [],
      "description": "Canonical Livepatch service",
      "description_override": "Current kernel is not supported",
      "entitled": "yes",
      "name": "livepatch",
      "status": "warning",
      "status_details": "",
      "warning": {
        "code": "livepatch-kernel-not-supported",
        "message": "The current kernel (5.15.0-1028-kvm, x86_64) is not
supported by livepatch.\nSupported kernels are listed here:
https://ubuntu.com/security/livepatch/docs/kernels\nEither switch to a
supported kernel or `pro disable livepatch` to dismiss this warning."
      }
    },

I think this will cover the ubuntu-advantage-tools part of the problem.
I'll mark it In Progress to reflect the status that this is implemented
but not yet committed or released to any Ubuntu release. We expect it to
be released in late March.

I think software-properties looks for "status" == "enabled" to show an "on"
switch for livepatch, so after the above u-a-t status change, it will show
livepatch as "off" (since "status" == "warning").

softare-properties should probably also display a warning message
describing the situation that `pro status` tells it. I'll leave this as
affecting ubuntu-advantage-tools, but also add it back to software-
properties to represent that portion of the work (propagating the
warning from pro status to the GUI).

** Changed in: ubuntu-advantage-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubuntu-advantage-tools (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Grant Orndorff (orndorffgrant)

** Also affects: software-properties (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to software-properties in

  Doesn't display the correct livepatch service status

Status in software-properties package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-advantage-tools package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Starting a focal VM which didn't get updated the livepatch icon in the
  panel shows an orange warning and the popdown display a string saying
  it hit an error fetching the status

  $ canonical-livepatch status
  last check: 58 seconds ago
  kernel: 5.15.0-56.62~20.04.1-generic
  server check-in: failed: livepatch check failed: unauthorized
  patch state: ✗ kernel version not supported

  The software-properties tab doesn't give any clue about that though, maybe it
should?