This is not strictly a duplicate of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl/+bug/1971650 since
this one is now about switching to needrestart, but I believe it
subsumes the current bug enough to mark it as duplicate of the newer
one.

   wrong check for "server" in libssl3.postinst

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssl in Ubuntu.

  postinst script does not restart services

Status in openssl package in Ubuntu:

  I have updated openssl to 1.0.1e-3ubuntu1.2 (Ubuntu 13.10 here). This
  update did not automatically restart services that were using the
  previously installed version (apache2 in my case), because the
  postinst script at /var/lib/dpkg/info/openssl.postinst does not do
  that. In effect, these services were still affected by the security
  vulnerabilities fixed in the update (among them in the latest update
  the fix for CVE-2014-0160 "Heartbleed"). The services had to be
  restarted manually, which in the case of a web server that gets its
  updates automatically via unattended-upgrades can mean a potentially
  dangerous delay.

  Expected behavior is instead that the openssl postinst script restarts
  all services that use the previous version. This is how it was handled
  in openssl 0.9.8b-3 for example (as documented in issue #69239 , see
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl/+bug/69239 ).