According to the Debian bug, this is fixed in 251.2-3 by shipped a
separate libsystemd-shared package.

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  libsystemd-shared broken in Multi-Arch

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Debian:

  I noticed that systemd-machined was failing to start on an arm64 box.
  This box had armhf enabled, and turns out systemd had been cross-
  graded over to systemd:armhf[*]. It still had systemd-container:arm64
  installed, so now I had an arm64 /lib/systemd/systemd-machine, but an
  armhf /lib/systemd/libsystemd-shared-244.so.

  libsystemd-shared-244.so is from the systemd package. Since systemd is
  marked Multi-Arch: foreign, systemd:armhf was able to incorrectly
  satisfy systemd-container:arm64's dependency on systemd.

  [*] kudos to Multi-Arch that I simply hadn't noticed