Thanks Julian.

> Also read the warning message apt-key gives you:
>
> Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead
> (see apt-key(8))

I think the wrong course of action was taken. Deprecated is not
withdrawn. As long as apt-key is provided, it is expected to perform
properly. Once apt-key goes away, then all bets are off.

I also think its a bad idea to [eventually] remove apt-key. The tool is
ubiquitous and it is cited across the web. Searching for "apt-key"
returns over 1 million hits. It would be wise to keep the tool since it
is so well known and used.

I think it would be better to fix apt-key since so many people are
familiar with it and depend on it. And it is economical to fix it. The
cost of fixing apt-key is less expensive than 1 million people working
around the missing tool and learning to use a new tool. One person
fixing apt-key may take 3 days or 1 month. 1 million people wasting 15
minutes each 250,000 man hours. 3 days or 1 month is much cheaper than
250,000 hours.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  apt-key saves key in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg)

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Hi Everyone,

  I want to install Firefox from Mozilla PPA. I added issued apt-key
  (from apt package) to fetch the signing key, and then enabled the PPA
  in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mozillateam-ubuntu-ppa-jammy.list. The apt-
  key command used was:

      sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys
  9BDB3D89CE49EC21

  Then, upon apt-get update:

      # sudo apt-get update
      Hit:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
      Reading package lists... Done
      W:
https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu/dists/jammy/InRelease:
Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the
DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.

  -----

  In the old days, we were supposed to put keys at
  /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d. If I am parsing things correctly nowadays... a
  new method is supposed to be used: adding [signed-by=<path>] to the
  sources.list line and putting the key in /usr/share/keyrings or
  /etc/apt/keyrings [1].

  [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/06/msg00722.html

  -----

  A related bug appears to be
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-release-
  upgrader/+bug/1995825. The 1995825 appears to trigger after an
  upgrade. For me, this is a fresh install. There was no upgrade.

  -----

  This is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, x86_64, fully patched.

      $ lsb_release -a
      No LSB modules are available.
      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
      Release:        22.04
      Codename:       jammy

  -----

      $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/apt-key
      apt: /usr/bin/apt-key

      $ apt-cache show apt
      Package: apt
      Architecture: amd64
      Version: 2.4.9
      Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
      Installed-Size: 4156
      Provides: apt-transport-https (= 2.4.9)
      Depends: adduser, gpgv | gpgv2 | gpgv1, libapt-pkg6.0 (>= 2.4.9),
ubuntu-keyring, libc6 (>= 2.34),     libgcc-s1 (>= 3.3.1), libgnutls30 (>=
3.7.0), libseccomp2 (>= 2.4.2), libstdc++6 (>= 11), libsystemd0
      Recommends: ca-certificates