I'm using Ubuntu GNOME 14.10 and I found this problem too. tracker-
extract takes 1.5 GB of memory and slow down, including change to
another window using Alt+Tab, taking lot of seconds to response.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tracker in Ubuntu.

  tracker-extract seems to briefly consume 1.5GB memory and slow
  computer right down

Status in “tracker” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: tracker

  In normal operation of computer, very occasionally computer suddenly
  slows right down for about 45 seconds - mousepointer is very slow to
  respond to movement, and windows are too slow to respond to clicks.

  This has been hard to identify the cause because the computer is so
  slow to respond it's hard to get system monitor opened to see the
  offending process.  Anyway I've finally managed to view system-monitor
  within the 45 seconds, and it seems to be "tracker-extract" program
  that is responsible, that was consuming over 1.5GB of RAM on my
  machine.  It was hard to see though because the 45 seconds finished
  almost as soon as I'd viewed it, so it very quickly disappeared from
  the top of the process list when ranked by memory usage.

  So is "tracker-extract" the offending process?  Can it be made a
  little less hungry of Memory (+ CPU) please?

  I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) 64 bit version on a 2.9GB machine.