This bug was fixed in the package apt - 2.7.10

---------------
apt (2.7.10) unstable; urgency=medium

  * pkgcachegen: Use placement new to construct header to make
    valgrind happy when we hash/write out padding bytes
  * Add Conflicts: apt-verify.
    The APT team is very concerned about the encroachement of its
    namespace and the impact on security of its file verification
    process. We have expressed those concerns in the ITP bug, but
    the package was nonetheless uploaded and accepted, so we have
    to take this extraordinary step to protect our users.

 -- Julian Andres Klode <j...@debian.org>  Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:31:13
+0100

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu Noble)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  regression: ?garbage does not work correctly in install commands

Status in apt package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apt source package in Jammy:
  Triaged
Status in apt source package in Lunar:
  Won't Fix
Status in apt source package in Mantic:
  Triaged
Status in apt source package in Noble:

  The awesome apt has a some wonderful tips on their EXAMPLES section
  (printed below). The choice of name to "garbage" might not have been
  the best but the function is extremely useful.

  $ man apt-patterns | sed '/EXAMPLES/,/^[^ ]/!d;/^[^ ]/d'
         apt remove ?garbage
             Remove all packages that are automatically installed and no longer
needed -
             same as apt autoremove

         apt purge ?config-files
             Purge all packages that only have configuration files left

         apt list '~i !~M (~slibs|~sperl|~spython)'
             List all manually-installed packages in sections matching libs,
perl, or
             python.

  Lets mark a package as automatically installed, and use the examples.

  $ sudo apt-mark auto shotwell
  shotwell set to automatically installed.

  $ sudo apt remove ?garbage
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
required:
    libraw20 shotwell shotwell-common
  Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

  $ sudo apt autoremove
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree... Done
  Reading state information... Done
  The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libraw20 shotwell shotwell-common
  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  After this operation, 9.806 kB disk space will be freed.
  Do you want to continue? [Y/n] N
  Abort.

  Apt-patterns works as it should everywhere else, as far as I can see,
  it works wonders with ie `apt list '~g|~c'` and many other
  applications. I used `apt purge '~g|~c'` successfully in Ubuntu 20.04
  for years, so I feel this is a regression.

  Package: apt 2.4.8
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME