I ran into the same problem, but I found that it should work if
bootstrapping from 22.04.

The problem appears to be due to the version of QEMU available for
20.04. The user mode emulation doesn't support OFD (open file
description) locks according to:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-08/msg06566.html

It looks like that was fixed in QEMU 5.1. Since 22.04 carries QEMU 6.2,
I was able to work around this issue by manually upgrading the qemu-
user-static package to the 22.04 version. This actually works on 20.04
because the binaries are statically linked.

  Systemd fails to install on Noble arm64

Status in debootstrap package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  Hello! When trying to bootstrap a new arm64 rootfs using the upcoming
  Noble release the systemd post-installation script will fail. Please
  see the file debootstrap.log attached for package install logs.

  To reproduce:
  $ sudo debootstrap --no-merged-usr --arch arm64 noble rootfs
http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports

  Release:      20.04

  systemd:
    Installed: (none)