This sounds like exactly the behaviour that I explained in 2013 here:
https://askubuntu.com/a/332421/7808

ifconfig still exists but is deprecated and no longer shipped by
default. Users should use its replacement "ip" instead.

However it is true that ifconfig does not display the additional aliases
set by ifupdown, so the bug remains valid. But since ifconfig is
deprecated we don't expect this to ever be addressed, so I'm setting the
bug status to Won't Fix.

** Changed in: net-tools (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to net-tools in Ubuntu.

  ifconfig not showing virtual ip addresses

Status in net-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  After upgrading to 11.10 my virtual ip addresses do not show up in an
  ifconfig (-a).

  Furthermore the eth0:1 address seems to be used for eth0 itself, and
  the DHCP assigned address (10.8.100.81) is seen as secondary address
  for eth0?

  Package: net-tools 1.60-23ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu3