Public bug reported:

I had to upgrade a system from 22.04 to 24.04. So far, so good. Only
after the reboot I realized I was unable to start the system. Debugging
it was very cumbersome because it was over a slow link including
character duplication issues when typing.

Anyways, I tried to dig into it after a reinstall, and found that the
initrd.img got regenerated (which also led to being unable to boot into
the old kernel, not just the new one of 24.04). So another reinstall
later I made sure to copy away the working initrd.img from 22.04, and
compare it to the one (re)generated by 24.04. It contained about 500
less lines in the output of lsinitramfs.

The system contains hardware raid. grub is able to see the disks, only
the (broken) initrd.img isn't able to see the disks anymore. blkid gives
no output at all in the shell I'm dropped into.

The server is needed for production purposes, so I had reinstalled once
again to 22.04 to continue working. I have copied off both of the
initrd.img files for the 5.15.0-118-generic kernel, both the one that
was generated for 22.04, and the one that was re-generated in the
upgrade process to 24.04.

If you need more information, please let me know.

** Affects: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  broken initrd.img after upgrade to 24.04

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu: