As I mentioned in IRC: I can probably easily shave another 2½K off .text
by removing stub support for multiple compressors and using the gzopen()
API already shipped by klibc.

Note that klibc bundles zlib 1.2.3 whereas even MirBSD has 1.2.8
already. That would also need updating. But at least, MirBSD compress
uses zlib for gzip I/O instead of bundling its own inflate/deflate
functions as GNU gzip does.

All is 2-clause and 3-clause BSD and MIT licence.

** Also affects: klibc

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to klibc in Ubuntu.

  Included gzip 1.2.4 has several vulnerabilities

Status in klibc:
  New
Status in “klibc” package in Ubuntu:

  The included gzip version is quite old (version 1.2.4) and has several
  security vulnerabilities.

  Check http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search-
  results?adv_search=true&cves=on&cpe_version=cpe:/a:gnu:gzip:1.2.4 for
  example.

  I explicitly checked for CVE-2001-1228, which was not fixed by a patch
  in the klibc package, so I assume the other vulnerabilities are not
  fixed either.

  I think it would be a good idea to update the included gzip to a
  current version.