Sorry, on my system there was for some reason, perhaps some experiments
several months ago, installed the original PackageKit D-Bus service
("packagekit" binary package) and not the Ubuntu standard PackageKit
D-Bus service emulation using aptdaemon ("python3-aptdaemon.pkcompat"
binary package). aptdaemon was installed, giving me the impression that
it was used.

This caused the bug to occur and after returning to the standard setup
with python3-aptdaemon.pkcompat the bug went away.

So the bug is most probably in the packagekit package and most users are
stillhaving automatic printer driver installation working, so moving to
packagekit and lowering importance ...

** Changed in: aptdaemon (Ubuntu)

** Package changed: aptdaemon (Ubuntu) => packagekit (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to packagekit in Ubuntu.

  Adding repository via PackageKit D-Bus interface does not work

Status in packagekit package in Ubuntu:

  I am on Ubuntu Utopic (14.10) and want to do the following, preferably
  with a Python script.

  I want to install a printer driver package from Epson (which is
  available as both DEB and RPM) through its apt or yum repository so that
  future updates get installed automatically through the distro's update
  mechanism. I also want to assure by means of a key fingerprint that
  repository and package are really from Epson.

  The package name for example is

  epson-inkjet-printer-escpr

  The key fingerprint is

  E5220FB7014D0FBDA50DFC2BE5E86C008AA65D56

  and the Debian package repository is

  deb http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian/ lsb3.2 main

  This data is polled from OpenPrinting:

https://www.openprinting.org/query.cgi?moreinfo=1&showprinterid=1&onlynewestdriverpackages=0&architectures=amd64&noobsoletes=1&onlyfree=0&onlymanufacturer=0&onlydownload=1&packagesystem=deb&onlysigneddriverpackages=0&format=xml&type=drivers&printer=MFG:EPSON;MDL
  :EP-801A%20Series;DES:EPSON%20EP-801A%20Series;CLS:PRINTER;

  You can replace the packagesystem=deb in the URL by packagesystem=rpm
  for RPM-based distros.

  Now I run a script of system-config-printer,
  /usr/share/system-config-printer/install-printerdriver.py via the command

  install-printerdriver 'epson-inkjet-printer-escpr' 'deb
  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian/ lsb3.2 main'
  'E5220FB7014D0FBDA50DFC2BE5E86C008AA65D56'

  Or by pasting the commands at the python prompt:

  till@till-twist:~/ubuntu/system-config-printer/test$ python3
  Python 3.4.2 (default, Oct  8 2014, 13:08:17)
  [GCC 4.9.1] on linux
  >>> from gi.repository import GLib, PackageKitGlib
  >>> import sys
  >>> def progress(progress, type, user_data):
  ... pass
  >>> pk = PackageKitGlib.Client()
  >>> repo = 'deb http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian/
  lsb3.2 main'
  >>> res = pk.repo_enable(repo, True, None, progress, None)

  And I get

  Could not found the repositorie

  And if I do

  pkcon repo-enable 'deb
  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian/ lsb3.2 main'

  I get the same error. I tried also with other repositories, even ones
  which are already added to the system and always get this error.

  How do I add a repository with PackageKit?

  till@till-twist:~/ubuntu/system-config-printer/test$ pkcon backend-details
  Name:         aptcc
  Author:       Daniel Nicoletti <dantt...@gmail.com>
  till@till-twist:~/ubuntu/system-config-printer/test$

  Another problem is installing the signature. Formerly

  >>> repo_gpg_id = "E5220FB7014D0FBDA50DFC2BE5E86C008AA65D56"
  >>> res = pk.install_signature(PackageKitGlib.SigTypeEnum.GPG,
  repo_gpg_id, '', None, progress, None)

  worked (note the empty string for the package ID). Now a package ID is
  required, and to obtain it I have to add the repository, but is it not a
  security problem to already add the repository if the signature is not
  yet installed?

  This all still worked on Trusty (14.04).

  Is there a problem with the Python bindings of the client (perhaps due
  to Python3)? Or is perhaps the D-Bus service (aptdaemon on Ubuntu) at fault?