This was fixed in the 4.2 sync which hit Ubuntu in Precise.  Closing out
for there and later as it works there.  We are not likely to fix Lucid
at this late stage in its life.

** Also affects: debianutils (Ubuntu Precise)

** Also affects: debianutils (Ubuntu Lucid)

** Also affects: debianutils (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Also affects: debianutils (Ubuntu Vivid)

** Also affects: debianutils (Ubuntu Utopic)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Vivid)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Utopic)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Trusty)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Precise)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Lucid)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Lucid)

** Changed in: debianutils (Ubuntu Precise)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to debianutils in Ubuntu.

  /sbin/installkernel doesn't work

Status in debianutils package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in debianutils source package in Lucid:
  Won't Fix
Status in debianutils source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in debianutils source package in Trusty:
  Invalid
Status in debianutils source package in Utopic:
  Invalid
Status in debianutils source package in Vivid:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  If I build a kernel (from kernel.org) and do a 'make install'
  it runs /sbin/installkernel which doesn't work right on my system (fresh
install
  from CD).
  Because of a couple of problems.  First, the script expects that
/boot/vmlinuz is
  a symlink to the existing kernel (ditto for initrd), this is not how Ubuntu
with
  GRUB
  is installed.  Making the symlink made the script run, but there was no entry
in
  /boot/grub/menu.lst for the new kernel.

  Second problem is that installkernel doesn't make and install initrd, as it
does
  on other distro's (Suse, Redhat). Since the default config depends on ext3
and other
  drivers being in initrd, this prevents the new kernel from booting.

  The whole process of installing a new kernel does work out of the box on Suse,
  and Fedora.
  Suse uses one entry in grub/menu.lst but makes new symlinks.
  Fedora adds new entries in grub/menu.lst for each kernel built.