** Description changed:

  This bug might either be in kernel or initramfs-tools.

  Known good kernels:
  - linux-image-extra-3.13.0-35-generic
  - linux-image-extra-3.13.0-36-generic

  All other subsequent versions (including latest linux-image-
  extra-3.13.0-44-generic) are affected by this issue.
+
+ Starting from linux-image-extra-3.13.0-36-generic the pcscd daemon gets
+ started automatically for some unknown reason (this was not happening
+ before with -35-generic).

  Basically the hid modules (hid, hid-generic and usbhid) are not loaded
  and this makes the keyboard impossible to use in any initramfs CLI
  program that requires user input.

  I have tried to force the usage of this module, but even with modprobe
  it fails for reasons unknown to me.

  Possibly related bugs:

  #1238194
  #1066376
  #229732

[...]

+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1238194
+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1066376
+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/229732
+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/886149
+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1054292
+
+ Known workaround:
+ Compile your own kernel with CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=y (I strongly advise default
kernel comes with this)

+ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1017991

  Known workaround:
  Compile your own kernel with CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=y (I strongly advise default
kernel comes with this)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  USB keyboard not working in initramfs (hid issue)

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu: