** Description changed:

- This bug might either be in kernel or initramfs-tools.
+ This bug might either be in the kernel extra package or initramfs-tools,
+ can't decide.

- - linux-image-extra-3.13.0-35-generic correctly loads hid-generic and does
not need it to be specified to initramfs-tools
- - linux-image-extra-3.13.0-36-generic works fine if "hid hid-generic usbhid"
are specified to initramfs-tools AND the -extra package is installed
- - linux-image-extra-3.13.0-37-generic works fine if "hid hid-generic usbhid"
are specified to initramfs-tools AND the -extra package is installed
+ I have tested all following version of the kernel:

+ - linux-image-3.13.0-35-generic
+ - linux-image-3.13.0-36-generic
+ - linux-image-3.13.0-37-generic
+ - linux-image-3.13.0-39-generic
+ - linux-image-3.13.0-40-generic
+ - linux-image-3.13.0-44-generic
+
+ In all of them, if the corresponding -extra package is not installed
+ then USB keyboard will not work (and display mode will also not be set
+ correctly, although it's a separate issue).
+
+ I have narrowed down the issue to the fact that hid, hid-generic and
+ usbhid modules are missing and thus not loaded.

  Possibly related bugs:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1238194
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1066376
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/229732
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/886149
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1054292
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1017991

** Summary changed:

- USB keyboard not working in initramfs (hid issue)
+ HID USB keyboards not working in initramfs

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  HID USB keyboards not working in initramfs

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu: