initramfs-tools already depends busybox-initramfs. What's missing is the hook
to symlink bin/chroot to busybox in the initrd.
Supporting /sbin/init being a symlink was not fixed for all cases in bug
#1351295. There was only a readlink symlink added but the chroot call in the
following line was missed. By coincidence the busybox-static hook installed a
chroot symlink so it worked for most cases (busybox-static is a dependency of
ubuntu-standard).

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  fails to boot with "Attempted to kill init" in VMWare, absolute
  /sbin/init symlink does not work

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  My Ubuntu 15.04 VM (running under VMware) doesn't boot anymore after
permanently switching to systemd.
  I've switched to systemd with "apt install systemd-sysv --purge" (it only
purged the upstart package) and with the default "Ubuntu" entry the boot fails
after about 2.5 sec with a kernel panic ("Attempted to kill init"). But it
works when edit the grub entry (in the grub shell) and add
"init=/lib/systemd/systemd".

  Attached is the serial output (with "debug" but no "init=" parameter).