Public bug reported:

= Background =

I have an app that controls Sonos speakers in your house.  This is a
brand of speaker that connects to your house's wifi and both exposes
information (what is currently playing) and takes commands (play this
song) over the network.

They have official apps for Android and iOS, but there are open source
libraries for the protocol.  So I'm making an Ubuntu app to control
them.

= Problem =

My app wants to be able to detect when the connected network changes
(4G->wifi, wifi->4G, wifi->different wifi), so that it knows when to
scan for speakers on the network.

But currently, the only information exposed by the connectivity service
is "online, connecting, offline" (or using the Qml plugin, just
online/offline).

And when switching between networks (like 4G->wifi), the "online" status
reasonably doesn't change.  So my app never knows that something
happened.

= Proposed Solution =

I understand that exposing information about wifi networks might leak
location data to apps.  But I don't need much.  Merely a signal like
"networkChanged" would be sufficient.

** Affects: indicator-network (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-network in

  [connectivity-service] Tell apps when network has changed

Status in indicator-network package in Ubuntu: