We are renovating our third floor and I'm thinking about how to put
another squeezebox in our home.

The floor will be essentially one large room divided into two
sections--a tv/home theatre on one end and a recreational area on the
other end.

I'm open to suggestions but currently I'm thinking of using one amp to
do 5.1 sound on the TV end and to drive two ceiling speakers on the rec
room side.  Seems that there are moderately priced amps (~$500-700) that
can provide for two zones like this.  I'm open to amp suggestions.

To get to the title of this thread ("touch in different room than
amp"), what's the best way to get the audio signal from the touch into
the amp?  Is digital optical or coaxial better for a distance of, say
6-8 m (20-25 ft)? Do most amps in my price range accept both?

Last, what's a good forum for me to ask questions about speaker
placement for my modest home theatre?  I want to know the best positions
for the rear speakers in the 5.1 given the limitations of my space.
Also what to look for in ceiling speakers--which one to buy,
installation tips for good sound etc.

Greg

--
greg from winnipeg