Let me reitterate, In these tests the same FLAC file was used for all
tests. TinySC as commonly configured does not transcode, so when playing
a FLAC file it can only send a FLAC stream to the player. Currently it
does not support WAV files so I can only hear FLAC decoding from TinySC
right now.

When I say SBS I'm refering to an external SBS connected by network to
the Touch (wired in this case). The SBS can either send the data as is
(FLAC format) or it can transcode the FLAC file into PCM and stream that
to the Touch.

So for these tests when using SBS the Touch can either decode PCM or
FLAC, but on the Touch only FLAC.

Here are rankings, the on on the TOP is the best sounding:

source      stream

SBS        PCM   Best
TinySC     FLAC
SBS        FLAC  Worst

The last two are very similar but the first is clearly superior. So
this seems to indicate that its NOT TinySC itself that is the issue but
that PCM sounds quite a bit better than FLAC, and because TinySC doesn't
do PCM at the moment its not sounding as good.

As to the format to use I agree with the others, go with FLAC, As long
as the streaming can be done with PCM I have yet to hear a difference.

Things get a little more complicated here with TinySC. As it stands now
you have to do Flac decoding in the player. Since TinySC and the Touch
player are running on the same hardware, I'm not sure it would make any
difference whether you decoded in the server or in the player. The
transcoding capability of TinySC can supposedly be turned on by using a
command line argument, so if I can find out how to specify the file
types without using a webui I'll try transcoding FLAC to PCM in TinySC
and see what difference that makes.

I gotta go now, We'll see what happens with more tests.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson