dean;486395 Wrote:
> Ah, "sample rate drift".  Very interesting.  Sounds likes samples are
> being dropped.
>
> Is it possible to do this with the digital output?

Dean, I'm not sure - I'm at the boundary of my knowledge. As far as I
understand things, no samples are being "dropped" or "repeated", but the
clock frequency in the DAC is wandering (very slightly) so all of the
samples are playing, but some of them are not at exactly the right time.
If this was exaggerated, we'd perceive it as something like the "wow" or
"flutter" of a turntable, but it's obviously much, much more subtle than
that.

I have no way of measuring the s/pdif output except by playing it
through an external DAC. Clearly no samples are dropped etc otw DTS
wouldn't work.

I'm off to research the audible effects (if any) of sample rate drift.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio