Phil Leigh;520194 Wrote:
> I've done this. Using commercially released material is pointless as you
> will see - its lineage is unknown...
>
> Record an acoustic Guitar and vocal performance using a Neumann U87 and
> Focusrite ISA430 Mic Pre-Amp onto a properly aligned an maintained
> Studer A80 1/2 inch 2-track.
> Play the tape back simultaneously through two Apogee converters (AD16 I
> think), one running at 24/96 and the other at 24/192 and capture to disk
> using Sonar.
>
> You now have the perfect test material to prove if 24/96 is audibly
> different to 24/192.
> Playback the files via a 24/192 DAC. Can you hear ANY difference? Can
> you pass a DBT?
> I can't and when I did this test a while ago no-one else we tried with
> could either.
> Unfortunately I don't have the files or equipment to repeat this
> experiment anymore. Other people on the Audiophile forum do. Maybe they
> could oblige?

Is the studer an analog tape machine (back in the days studer/revox
made those) ? could one not record directly to a harddrive from the mick
-AD converter and skip the analog tape intermediary ?
I fear that if any difference exist an analog tape machine regardless
how good it is would level out the difference .

You have however proved the futility of remaster analog stuff above
24/96 .
How good can a reel to reel analog tape be ? sure noise is never going
to be -144dB but with high tape speed frequency response can be awesome
?
I don't want to be flamed but is not good old 16/44.1 good enough for
most old analog masters ? maybe 24/48 is needed for the best of them ?
sure 24/96 will better any analog tape machine ? But as used in studios
some actually likes the sound i reckon, and use them as a mastering tool
to get that "analog" sound, hence the popularity of vintage stuff to get
a certain sound on your recordings.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBR to be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this