mpower9;533513 Wrote:
> I am planning to get a Touch and am trying to figure out what kind of
> set up to use it with.
>
> Currently I have a over 20 year-old Sony bookshelf stero that is
> getting rather cranky. The tape player and the CD player have some
> eccentricities. I am trying to figure out what I will need for a system
> once I get my Touch.
>
> Do I want to keep what I have and just plug the Touch into the AUX port
> of the existing system? Do I want to get a pair of good powered speakers
> and get rid of the current system altogether and just have the Touch
> attached directly. I am not an audiophile. I don't play ear-bleed music
> or thumpa-dumpa base.

If you are content with the sound of your current system and the
system's crankiness has nothing to do with the AUX input, I would say
stick with your bookshelf system.  In the future you could upgrade that
if you want.

mpower9;533513 Wrote:
> I have a very small CD collection (compared to some of the collections
> mentioned in these Forums) and I am planning to rip them to a USB drive
> to use with the Touch. At the moment I have hardly any digital music
> files.

Sounds like a good plan!

mpower9;533513 Wrote:
> I do have a lot of vinyl records and cassetts. I have a gismo
> (ARTsessiories USB Phono Plus) which I am using to (ever so slowly)
> transfer my collection into digital format.

I have this device myself.  It is awesome, I really enjoy using it and
it produces some very good recordings.  I've recommended this device to
a bunch of people.

mpower9;533513 Wrote:
> In the mean time, can I use the USB connection of the gizmo to play the
> vinyl directly on the Touch or will the lack of a file system on the
> record or cassette prevent the Touch from playing it?

There was talk of doing something like this.  Somebody may have hacked
something to make this work.  Certainly, out of the box this will not
work.  At this point, anything that would work would be very
experimental.

mpower9;533513 Wrote:
> Once or twice a year all the relatives descend on me for the holidays
> and we use the DVD player on my laptop to watch movies on my 21"
> monitor (I don't have TV) and they like to plug the sound into the
> hifi. Would I be able to run it through the Touch if I got rid of the
> hifi?

No, there's no input aside for USB and network connections on the
Touch.

Have fun with your venture into computer based digital audio!

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 11.0 Server running
SqueezeBoxServer 7.4.2 (with 7.5.0 Controller FW), MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 30,015 songs, 2,448 albums, 451 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior