JJZolx;535207 Wrote:

> Although the Touch is billed as an SB3 replacement, it was essentially
> built from scratch, so some SB3 functionality can almost be expected to
> be missing..

Yeah, I cringed a bit when I read the language in the announcement that
"-The Squeezebox Touch has the same capabilities of a Squeezebox
Classic-" -- it certainly doesn't have *all* the capabilities, even
though Touch does add several cool new features and improvements. For
80-90% of users, it offers everything that they've come to expect, and
some new features that folks have wanted for years -- for instance,
it's great that you can now have a local server+player that uses less
power than a dumb old SB Classic.

But there are a few things like this digital output setting, IR
blasting, support for JVC DVD remote codes, and wireless bridging that
aren't part of Touch either because Logitech hasn't gotten around to
implementing it yet, or because the new hardware lacks some of the
capabilities of the old gear (e.g. the IR microcontroller and WiFi
adapter apparently just aren't as flexible as what Sean & Slim Devices
spec'ed for SB2/SB3/Classic).

If you're looking to replace an SB2/SB3/Classic with a Touch, you need
to read Mickey's entire sentence -- "-The Squeezebox Touch has the same
capabilities of a Squeezebox Classic – a Wi-Fi music player capable of
playing music from your iTunes or MP3 collection, Internet radio from
services such as Pandora, Deezer, Rhapsody, Last.fm, or tuning into
local AM/FM radio stations from around the world – but updated with a
4.3 inch (11 cm) color touch screen interface and the simple-to-use
menus also used on the Squeezebox Radio.-" -- and if anything you care
about isn't listed there, ask, as it might not be something Touch can
do now, or ever. Oh, and when Mickey writes "tuning into local AM/FM
radio stations from around the world", of course he means playing
Internet streams from stations that also broadcast AM/FM. One could
argue there should be asterisk by iTunes (AFAIK, DRM-encumbered tracks
still won't play). I imagine Mickey's text was probably twisted a bit
by Logitech marketing, so I can't fault *him* for the fact that it
glosses over a few finer points, but I think that part of the
announcement is, unfortunately, a bit misleading.

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
Free plugins:  'AllQuiet'