Plank;535187 Wrote:
> Can someone explain the Proximity Sensor to me?  I would think that the
> "Now Playing" screen would automatically display large letters and
> artwork if I am at a distance.  It should automatically switch to small
> letters and control buttons as my hand gets close.  Am I
> misunderstanding?  The settings are cryptic to me.  I know that the
> remote makes things big and touching the screen makes things small but
> I thought the sensor should do the same. Thanks!

Are there any settings for the proximity sensor?  To the best of my
knowledge the proximity sensor is not currently being used in any way
on Touch.  During the beta phase it was attempted to do as you
describe, to switch between the small and large skins and to hide and
reveal buttons by using the proximity sensor.  But it got overly
complicated and eventually they fell back to the simple switching that
you see now - if you touch the screen it will switch to the small skin
with buttons.  If you use the IR it will switch to the large skin with
no buttons.  Frankly, I like it best like this.

You can override this behavior slightly in the settings by forcing the
remote interface to use the small skin, and the touch interface to use
the large skin (which you probably would never want to do, as all the
buttons disappear and it becomes almost unusable as a touch interface).

--
JJZolx

Jim