AudioFrog;536718 Wrote:
> Ok I am frustrated. I have an SB2 and 2 days ago purchased a SB Touch
> which mandates SBS 7.5. I have installed SBS 7.5, 7.5.1 + 7.6 and NONE
> of them will FIX the 'Cannot open D:\Itunes....' issue. I have a large
> Itunes library completely made up of ALAC files and I cannot listen to
> any of them. This is such a huge bug for a product that supposedly had
> been delayed to make sure everthing worked out of the box.
>
> I have read the threads about this issue and have tried different SBS
> builds, different FAAD.EXEs (even one that a none-Logitech person
> modified to try and fix this issue) and none of them work.
>
> SBS has always been the Achilles Heel of this product line and when it
> works it works well but it has been plagued with bugs that somehow make
> it thru 'QA'. I was hoping this would be plug and play but I am ready to
> throw the Touch thru a window.
>
> Sorry for the rant. This is just so unacceptable.
It is frustrating but you need to understand that there are (at least)
2 seperate problems, both of which only impact certain people based on
THEIR specific combination of platform and music files. As such these
bugs can be very hard to prevent (and quite hard to fix).

They certainly weren't hit during beta AFAIK.

However, Andy has fixed the faad memory exception bug that was
occasionally causing faad to crash on alac playback. The "Can't open
file..." problem is different...

I've been trying to help with this but I can never recreate this error
on XP SP3 with 7.6. I've used example files sent by people with the
problem and they all work fine on my system.

At one point it looked like the alac files were possibly being
misinterpreted as AAC (or MPEG-4 as SBS refers to them) and hence faad
was not being invoked - the native AAC decoder was being invoked
instead.

This won't work, hence the advice to check your file types to ensure
that MPEG-4 is set to stream as FLAC via faad (same as "Apple
Lossless".

If you turn on player.source logging you can see exactly what SBS is
trying to do when you play a track...

This is NOT the default.

However, this is only a workaraound (if I'm correct about the alac
files being wrongly identified as AAC).

There may also be a problem with the tags generated via iTunes, but I
can't comment on that...I think Copperstate has been looking at that.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio