Phil Leigh;538202 Wrote:
> Not really. Light transitions travel just as well through plastic as
> "glass" over a few meters. And - to make toslink work  - it really
> doesn't have to travel all that well. One of my best friends owns a
> company that actually makes fibre... It has to handle WAY more
> bandwidth than Toslink..
> The real "problem" with toslink/optical are the transition points from
> cable to opto-isolator/driver.
> There really (almost) isn't such a thing as a "crappy" plastic cable -
> but there are badly finished ends that scatter...and poorly fitting
> connectors.
> Anyway, this is way OT now!

I'll disagree with you and move on. Plenty of testing to show there is
a difference.

Big difference between a consumer toslink cable and a fibre cable.

Don't forget these cables are fragile. Bad cables and even high quality
glass cables can be damaged and still technically work, but not work
well.

--
pounce