Have always used a server (of course!) to run my SB3, but with the Touch
on its way I'm curious about the idea of using its own server rather
than having to have the PC on?

Some info:
My server is an old Dell GX260SFF P4 2Ghz with 1B ram running windows
XP.
I use an external WD 1TB USB hardrive to supply the FLAC files.
I use IPENG to control my music...about 36000 tracks last count.

The SB3 was wired to an Access Point in the same room, which in turn
was wired to the main router connected to my modem.
The only wireless part of the setup was my wifi connection from the
ipod to an access point in the same room as my SB3

Now sometimes I got slowdowns when using the SB3, and I had just put it
down to my server being an old computer..but people are using EVEN
LESSER spec PCs (and not just running Linux ;)) without any problems.
I noticed it particularly with SS 7.5...the MYSQL was running 92% CPU
on XP, which caused slowdown.

Not a major drama, slowdowns come up now and again not all the time but
it IS a bit of a pain.

I wondered if the slowdownds were with the SB3 itself, and the Touch,
with its uprated CPU and memory,would not have this issue?

On paper my PC Server has enough horsepower to run my music centre..so
any thoughts, ideas or opinions welcome!

Of course, the best way to find out is for me to just TRY it (which I
will), but Im just wondering what you thought.

Ta.

--
Gazjam