JohnSwenson;538759 Wrote:
> Thats why I said to plug it into a laptap rather than a router or switch
> on the LAN. Most people are not running a software DHCP server on their
> laptop so connecting direct to a laptop will make a connection without
> servicing the DHCP request.
>
> John S.
That's what I did and I don't have a software DHCP server running on my
laptop.  My Touch had a IP address (192.168.1.5) assigned to it by DHCP
already so I did the method you described in your first post and chose
a new static IP address (192.168.1.144).  Then I reconnected to my
wireless network.  After that I checked the diagnostics screen on my
Touch and those two IP addresses where blinking back and forth.  I
thought maybe the static IP I chose would show up after I rebooted my
Touch but only the old DHCP assigned IP showed up.  I repeated the same
steps after I turned off DHCP on my router, (turning DHCP back on after
I saw my static IP show up in the diagnostics screen) and now I have a
static IP.

--
oofda