I use the Touch with a USB drive almost daily running TinySC (no SBS PC
Server) and listen to Internet Radio without any issues.

The Touch USB Port is a USB Spec'd port. It meets the power
requirements to power devices that meet the certified USB standard.
Does this mean that all devices and all hard drives will work, it does
not. What it does mean is that devices that display that they are
certified to the USB Standard will have a higher likely hood of
functioning correctly.

And yes I have USB devices that aren't certified to the USB standard
that DO work with the Touch and others that don't. I don't have a
single USB certified device that doesn't work with the Touch. YMMV. USB
powered USB drives that draw more then 500 milliamps at start up are
drives that I would avoid.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom