m1abrams;541690 Wrote:
> Why would you bother?  If someone has access to that file, whether or
> not they need to decrypt it is the least of your concerns.  They have
> root access to a box on your network, having your WPA key is pointless
> they are ON the network already.
>
> Also if the key was encrypted you would not want to hash it because
> then you could not use it.  The box will need to be able to decrypt it
> WITHOUT need external input otherwise you would have to provide
> creditinals every time you wanted your Touch to get online.  So the
> root user would have to be able to decrypt it, so guess what if a user
> can read that file they are root.  Not really going to stop them from
> decrypting anything if they are root.  So that encryption becomes a
> needless complication for no gain.

All good points. :) Host security on a device like a music player is
probably not top on the list of Logitec's priorities, but my bigger
"worry" is, at least on the radio, the pointless open ports presented
via inetd. Echo, time and daytime are open for no real reason (unless
someone can tell me why).

I do wish perl was installed!  Could then make the touch/radio/etc do
some neat things...

--
Aslak3

(SB 2, SB Boom, SB Radio)