I have followed some of the threads complaining about limitations with
using the Touch with larger music collections on USB drives.  I strikes
me that some users may be expecting too much from a $300 device with
pristine audio output, a touch screen, a remote control, easy access to
internet radio, Rhapsody and many other services.  There are not many
audio devices with this sound quality in this price range.  For
example, a 160 gig ipod costs $270 and has nowhere near the audio
quality or features of a Squeezebox.  A Sonos setup cost much more and
cannot act as a stand alone player.
To expect the Touch to also internally handle music collections of
hundreds of gigabytes or terabytes, which must have cost many thousands
of dollars, seems to me to be an unfair.
I am somehow reminded of reviewers of $300 speaker systems that
complain about the lack of impact from the 4 1/2 inch drivers and lack
of air in the $20 tweeters.  There are very nice speakers in that price
range, but you can't expect them to perform like $1,000 models.
Logitech should not be vilified for its effort to stick with the
original approach of Slim Devices: putting audio quality first in
making reasonably priced network music players on an open platform.
The Touch, like the Boom and Radio were natural extensions of this
approach.  The Touch admittedly was an ambitious project and, in my
view, has largely succeeded.  I suspect many other consumer products
companies would have not even tried or would have abandoned the project
along the way.
What do you think?

--
jcowling