Waldo Pepper;560225 Wrote:
> I have been thinking about this and as long as you use a FLASH drive and
> have RCA inputs on your in car system then there is no problem.
>
> You could also update the music collection via wiFi when parked on your
> drive.
>
> Caveats...
>
> 1. A HD drive may smash the heads into the platters going over bumps
> unless properly mounted.
>
> 2. The device runs off 5V so will have to be regulated down.
>
> 3. Check the standby current when off. It could flatten your battery if
> not driven. I have not measured it, but 3.6W in standby (posted here
> elsewhere) will completely flatten a 50Ah car battery in a week (and
> stuff your car battery in the process). It will not fully recover from
> a deep discharge. If your music collection is small, then you could
> turn off completly as a power on rescan should be quickish.

Think more outside of the box. I use a 12V to 5V 4Amp DC/DC power
supply that is wired to a switched hot IE key must be in the Start/On
position for the Touch to draw power. No battery draw unless driving. I
have had no issues using Toshiba USB powered USB Drives. Probably
because they are portables and designed to take some knocking around as
well as sitting on a small piece of memory foam in the lower cubby hole.
And even if you don't have Aux In on your head unit, some factory units
can have an adapter added to get the signal in though I highly
recommend after market head units with Aux In.

Or one can just use a small Inverter to power Touch via the OEM PS and
then even use external powered USB drive since one has the inverter to
plug it into.

Could you update over WiFi, I guess so, but why bother. Its a USB
drive, bring it in and do a direct update over a USB Cable.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom