On 07/26/2010 09:48 AM, streumix wrote:
> But all I could get (scp or SMB export) is somewhat around 500kB/sec
> max. (4MBit) ? Is this a typical value or is there a problem with my
> WLAN setup.
> What can I expect ?
>
> Since my router tells me all clients are running fine at 54MBit, I'd
> expect to come close a throughput >= 20 MBit.

Sorry, there is a huge difference between the signaling rate and actual
throughput.
There is zero chance you will ever see 54mbit. That would require no
contention, no overhead.

SCP adds some delay with the encryption, but with modern processors,
that is usually not a problem.

If you can deliver data at 20% of the channel rate, be happy. Its not
out of line. If there are other WiFi networks in sight, they will
contend even when your are doing just one-to-one connections. I can see
eight WiFi hot spots from my living room laptop.

The solutions are simple: stop using WiFi and use a wired connection.
Gigabit switches are cheap.

Ethernet is all about collision detection and retry. That wastes a lot
of bandwidth. Its not a bug, its a feature.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/