Siegfried Löffler;566396 Wrote:

> Yeah - but then you radically would switch off a Linux system without
> properly shutting down the file systems etc. - it would only be a
> question
> of time and you would end up with corrupted file systems. That's
> exactly
> what I mean: No easy solution with Linux based architecture to
> shutdown
> completely.
>
> Don't get me wrong - I still like the Linux based architecture very
> much. I
> just don't think that in terms of "green" it is the best solution
> mankind
> will ever find...

Linux has nothing to do with it.

Yanking power from ANY drive that is potentially being written to is
bad.

What happens when you're mid-write and the drive loses power for any
reason?  Do you think the drive has some reserve power backup to ensure
the write is completed before spinning down?  What happens when the
drive is only able to write half a sector before the power is gone?

This has nothing to do with the OS: it is the nature of mechanical
media (especially, though an SSD would have a similar problem if power
is removed at the wrong time -- it just has a smaller window since it
is faster writing).

--
snarlydwarf