Several Tips for those who always end up with failures or empty
libraries for their external USB drives:

1) My USB drive got automatically mounted and re-mounted in "Read Only"
mode. The solution was to reformat the drive with a Linux ext2
filesystem. Later I realized it would have been better to use ext3 to
get journalling support such that when the touch is cut from mains the
filesystem remains more robust.

2) I needed to remove all .WAV files from my library.

3) I had to stop the nmbd and smbd daemons (external sharing) because
they used too much memory. The touch only has 128MB RAM and no
swapspace. I did not find a solution to set up swapspace; but once I
had realized the problem was a lack of memory and that nmbd and smbd
were using a lot, it was easy to deduce that stopping these two would
help a big deal.

Hope this is helpful for others as well.

--
dg1sek