I came across this:

http://zarb.org/~gc/html/udp-in-ssh-tunneling.html

and tried the suggestion at the bottom: to forward the upd-traffic via
socat. So I added port 9011 to my tcp-tunnel to tunnel the upd traffic
for port 3483 across it.

Code:
--------------------
    Server side: socat tcp4-listen:9011,reuseaddr,fork UDP:localhost:3483
  Client side: socat udp4-listen:3483,reuseaddr,fork tcp:localhost:9011

I've tried this setup with Windows Xp and Ubuntu 10.04 as clients
(socat is available as windows-binary with cygwin dll's), but with none
of them I was able to connect to squeezebox server.

The server is Debian Lenny btw.

I'm really surprised, that apparently nearly nobody seems to care about
connecting to a remote library over ssh..

--
welom