esbrewer;572098 Wrote:
> I agree completely with the comments above that many (not all) in the
> audiophile press marginalize affordable server based playback systems -
> and affordable equipment in general.  But to suggest that use of iTunes
> shows ignorance of the potential of this technology is off base.
> Ripping with iTunes to ALAC gives many audiophiles excellent results,
> and allows for easier integration with Apple hardware they use on a
> daily basis.  I choose not to use iTunes for several reasons, but sound
> quality is certainly not one of them.

Gee that's funny since just about anywhere you care to look regarding
using iTunes to play 24bit/88.2 or 96kHz files all you find is long and
somewhat complicated list of various hoops one must jump through to get
the files to play. And then once you get to play you then have to jump
back through a few of the hoops if you want to play CD resolution (16
bit/44.1kHz) files. Don't believe me, try doing a search on the term
"how to play 24bit 96kHz files using iTunes".

Silly me, I though that iTunes was supposed to easy. You know easy as
in how when using a Squeezebox running SBS one can mix and match
digital audio files of just about any bit rate and any codec (with the
main exception being files with DRM) and the damn thing just plays. And
not only do the files play but they play at the proper bit rate.

I'm sorry to have to say it (well I'm not really sorry) but because of
Apple's outright rejection of just about anything open source Apple and
iTunes is not at the present time a good choice for playing high
resolution digital audio files. That doesn't mean that iTunes won't
play these files but...

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2