1) John's post above explains why the approach you are taking is
problematic.  It's probably best to stich with
\music\artists\album\song.mp3

2) I can suggest you use the "genre" tag on the files to do what you
want to do with categories.  You assign a genre to each track with a
tag editor (I reccomend mp3tag).  This can then be browsed via the
interface on the touch.  You'll still hit the limit if you play more
than a 100 songs in one genre though, but you can then browse inside a
genre to an album\artist you want.

"tag" is bits of information stored in the file. Usually contains name
of artist, song name etc, but can also contain other information such
as genre.  mp3tag allows you to edit these quickly and easily.

--
lrossouw

Louis
'Last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/lrossouw)