adamdea;576602 Wrote:
> Yes I intend to copy this correspondence to Linn and suggest that they
> try to develop some sort of state-of-the-art disc-less audio playing
> range. I even have in my mind a rather crass sexual metaphor which
> mediated through dyslexia can inspire the name for the top-of-the-range
> model.
>
> Actually no- it doesn't really matter how much effort the hi end
> industry puts into disc-based systems- provided it is competently (not
> expensively) engineered any ethernet-based streaming device should be
> able to produce as good a spdif output as a megabuck transport- the
> megabucks just go on trying to read the disc. Hence you can spend a
> fortune on solid adamantium disc drawers, hi torque motors to spin the
> disc and ultra refined mechanical isolation systems for the
> disc-reading part. However good they are there is no reason on god's
> green earth why the resulting data will be any more accurate than is
> collected by a small plastic device receiving a tc/ip stream (OK it may
> then have to turn it into spdif- but how much of the cost of the
> disc-spinner goes into that?) . The hugely expensive tank/jewel
> construction will only serve to make the transport as (or more likely
> nearly as) good as the little streamer.
>
> Do we really have to be surprised that a solution (disc-less play via
> digital out) which has every possible theoretical advantage and no
> theoretical disadvantage should turn out to work better than reading
> the disc in realtime. [This nicely complements the point that the
> touch's analogue out is as good as one could reasonably hope from a
> cheapo device with no room for fancy components but a very good
> designer; but no better. Perhaps a lovely surprise but no textbooks
> thrown out]

Linn have already ceased manufacture of CD spinners in favour of
disk-based solutions. They have stated publicly that there is no going
back.

PROPERLY implemented, disk-based solutions will at least equal even the
most esoteric spinner as a transport.

They will do so at much lower cost.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.