Gazjam;578326 Wrote:
> a bit contentious (probably :)), but a genuine question.
> Any improvements over SPDIF usng USB into a suitable Dac?
>
> Not so much for my Caiman dac, the usb max's at 16/44, but maybe for
> others?

There is no way to make a generic statement on that, its going to be
all over the place.

Many DACs that have both S/PDIF and USB inputs use a USB to S/PDIF
converter and feed it into the S/PDIF input under the hood. In this
case the USB input is probably going to be worse. (but not necessarily
always so, again it depends on many other factors)

There are several USB input implementations that are REALY good, and
these could easily outperform a run of the mill S/PDIF implementation.
A designer that uses one of these good USB circuits is probably also
going to use a good S/PDIF implementation as well, so there may not be
very much difference between the two on THAT box. But between different
boxes it could go either way.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson