I finally managed to scan my NAS (Iomega home media drive) by
activating, I think, the UPnP option in "Settings", then "Advanced,"
then choose "Network" from the drop-down menu.  I also entered the
drive in the playlist box.  For the most part, it seems to have worked.
I can see the contents of this media drive on the Squeezebox Server.

However - when I attempt to play some of these file, I hear nothing but
a hiss coming from the Touch.  Other files are perfect.  Any idea why
this might be so?  Should I empty the library and rescan again?

--
docmark