You won't be able to play the music right away. You need to start the
Touch's internal Squeezebox Server (SBS), which I think is what you are
referring to as option 1. This starts the SBS which first needs to scan
audio files on your USB drive to build the music library. Depending on
the number of audio files, this might take a while. Once the scan is
complete, you should be able to find your music under "My Music" in the
main menu. If you were connected to a different library (e.g., served by
an SBS on your PC) prior to attaching the USB stick, you may need to
first switch to the USB sticks library (not sure if this step is
required). This can be done by choosing the appropriate library under
"My Music" > "Switch Library".

--
gmudunuri

Main rig: SB Touch -> PS Audio DL III (Cullen IV modified) -> PS Audio
Trio C-100 (Cullen III modified) --> Dunlavy Aletha full range
speakers.
Home Theater / Office Room: SB Duet Receiver
Everywhere else: SB Radio
Control: iPeng on iPhone, iPeng on iPad, SqueezePlay on Mac, IR Remote