Hi Dear Touch users. I am new to this forum and my name is Michel. My
Touch should arrive in a few days and I would like to use it in
standalone mode with a self-powered 3.5’’ WD Elements 1.5T USB drive.
Getting the touch to work well in standalone mode seems tricky.
Although I gathered a number of tips from several forums (in particular
in the recent thread from Jean, thanks !), I have a number of questions
which, I hope, you will not find tedious.
1) External hard drive.
I would like to try ext2 or ext3 formating. Has anybody compared the 2
? The ext 3 would only be useful if the Touch’s Unix can use journaling
but otherwise be useless or worse. Any hints ?
Also, has anybody tried to add a swap space partition on the disk ?
Again, it could either be positive in view of the limited Touch memory
or detrimental since apparently the Touch doesn’t like extra
partitions.
2) Music file compression.
I’m going to play mainly 16-44 flac files and some 24-96 flac files.
Everybody seems to agree that flac compression should be not more that
level 5. Has anybody tested if compression lower than 5 smoothes up
functionning ? The size difference between flac 5 and Flac 0 is small.
Is the fact that the disk should not be filled by more than 80%
confirmed.
3) File tags and artwork.
I intend to navigate by directories and filenames. Is there a problem
with leaving the flac files untagged? Some ripping and tagging software
default to « unknown artist », etc… but others seem to leave the tags
blank. Maybe it will decrease the size of the database which seems a
major issue.
In the same instance, I will not add artwork. My display will look
spartan but no tags and no artwork will also save me a lot of work…
4) Scanning.
I understand that I should do a full overnight scan after connecting
the drive. There seems to be an issue with spontaneous rescans during
which nothing should be played. When does the Touch rescans ? : Each
time you switch it on, each time you start playing or each time it
detects new files ? How long does it take ?
5) Networking
Is it correct that, in standalone mode, wired or wireless networking is
useful only for TinySB upgrade or ssh to the touch? Can those be
switched off when you dont need them?
6) SQ
I just saw one report here that sound quality is better with Squeezebox
Server than in standalone. Any confirmation ?
Maybe the answers to several of these questions might be «try it ! ».
That’s what I’ll do and give you a report. If someone has experience
with some of these issues, this will help me. Thanks in advance.
Michel

--
micsei