for about a year I used my laptop (an old dell dual core processor) for
running SbS (streaming music) to my SB players. I had no issues
whatsoever. The music is streaming in the background and I'm happily
surfing the web, running programs, even running Stat programs with SAS
and 100,000 data points. No glitches on playing or on the other
programs I was running.

p.s. This said, I now have a vortexbox appliance holding and streaming
the music (and lots of SB players). But this was more for the 24/7
factor (and that my wife is now hooked on using the SB players and I'm
not always at home with my laptop).

--
garym