iPhone;596625 Wrote:
> Now really, you don't think that if the actual builders of the device
> could improve things by simply changing the code that they won't?! Get
> real!
>
> If one wants to "imagine" that they hear a difference afterwards, then
> by all means software mod away if it makes one think they are getting
> more for their money or out of the unit.

But why would they? The developers are putting together a software
package for general purpose use by large numbers of people, they are
trying to get a large set of functionality out of the device.

The mods in question are all about turning things off or down that are
not essential for the actual playback of music. The fewer stuff running
on the computer the less the processor has to work and the fewer memory
accesses there are. This DOES decrease the noise on supply and ground
plane. The Touch already has pretty low noise, which is one of the
reasons it does sound so good, BUT its NOT zero. I can measure noise on
the supply and ground plane and this noise does change with what is
going on software wise.

I don't have good enough test equipment to determine EXACTLY the
mechanism how each change in software actually affects the outputs, but
its good enough to see that there are actual electrical changes in the
box that have the possibility of affecting the outputs.

They are not large changes it is true. But then audiophiledom is all
about getting the last little nth of improvement. Thats what these
sorts of changes do, they are all about getting the best out of the
equipment that you can get.

Its definitely not for everybody. You do give up functionality in order
to achieve that slight improvement. The changes are reversible so if you
don't like them or you don't think the improvement is worth what you
give up, you don't have to use it.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson