JohnSwenson;577727 Wrote:
> OK, here finally are my official instructions for connecting a USB DAC
> up to the Touch.<snip>

OK, as all others have already said, many thanks John for the how-to! I
figured I'd give it a spin on a new set of 'Logitech G930 wireless
headphones'
(http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7248). Perhaps
not the most audiophile you can find... but what the heck.

It worked right off the bat! And what's more, the headphones have a
bunch of buttons on them (including a volume adjustment wheel), all
exposed as HID consumer controls. Without any configuration from my
side, the volume adjustment wheel does indeed adjust the volume,
including showing up on the UI of the SBT. The three "G-keys" appear to
have a default assignment of "previous track", "pause" and "next track",
and they all work accordingly.

The only "problem" is that the maximum volume isn't very loud. The
headset's hardware mixer is set to -40dB by default at power-up, it
seems. I was able to adjust it with the following command:

Code:
--------------------
    amixer -c 1 sset PCM 40
--------------------

The mixer value goes from 0-66; 66 (0dB attenuation) is just *way* too
loud, and using the SBT volume control results in lots of quantization
noise. Setting it to 40 (-26dB) resulted in a reasonable maximum
volume; it would probably be best to leave the SBT volume at 100% and
set the hardware mixer with amixer to the appropriate level to avoid
quantization noise.

Setting the hardware mixer could be done at boot time, too. I haven't
done that yet, just happy it works so well :)

I was looking for an option to (semi-)automatically switch the output
device, which 'looks like' (http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc) it
should be possible. It would probably be necessary to issue a reboot
when the output is switched, as the jive executable is supervised and
the box with auto-reboot if jive is stopped. If I get that working,
I'll post back.

For the reference of others, here is my setup:

In /etc, I have the following two files:
/etc/asound.conf.fab4 (renamed original file for built-in output)
/etc/asound.conf.g930 (file made for G930 according to John's
instructions)

asound.conf.g930 has the following contents:

Code:
--------------------
    # script for alsa configuration with Logitech G930 cans

  pcm.usbdac {
  type hw;
  card Headset;
  }
  pcm.plugusb {
  type plug;
  slave.pcm "usbdac";
  }
  ctl.plugusb {
  type hw;
  card Headset;
  }

  pcm.!default plugusb
--------------------

As a convenience, I made two scripts in the home directory:

fab4.sh:

Code:
--------------------
    #!/bin/sh

  echo Setting up audio output for Fab4 and rebooting...
  cp /etc/asound.conf.fab4 /etc/asound.conf
  reboot
--------------------

g930.sh:

Code:
--------------------
    #!/bin/sh

  echo Setting up audio output for G930 and rebooting...
  cp /etc/asound.conf.g930 /etc/asound.conf
  reboot
--------------------

I made the files executable with the command

Code:
--------------------
    chmod 755 *.sh
--------------------

Note that I don't call "sync"; the reboot command does this for me.

I also have a script for setting up the volume to "40" in the hardware
mixer:

Code:
--------------------
    #!/bin/sh

  echo Setting hardware mixer of G930 to 40
  amixer -c 1 sset PCM 40

Thanks again, John :)

PS: The fancy features of the headset (surround sound, equalizer) that
become available on Windows with the custom driver don't work here, as
expected. If I have way to much time on my hands, I might try to see if
I can get those working, too.

--
tomb