MikeSB;602873 Wrote:
> I have seen some discussion on this elsewhere but I'm not sure if I have
> seen a definitive answer.
>
> I understand that ALAC is supported natively on the Touch.  At least if
> I connect a USB drive which contains some ALAC files to the Touch, the
> SB server on the Touch plays them.
>
> However when I play an ALAC using the SB sever on my Mac Mini the file
> seems to get transcoded to FLAC.  If I go to "More info" for the track
> it says something like "Bitrate: 850kbps VBR (converted to 705 kbps
> FLAC)."  Also there doesn't seem to be an option in "File Types" in
> Settings to set Apple Lossless to "native".  I have a Boom pointing at
> the same server and was wondering whether the fact that the Boom cannot
> play ALAC natively meant the server was transcoding to FLAC.  However my
> Boom is switched off and is not synced with the Touch.
>
> Is there any way of getting SBS on my Mac to play ALAC natively?
>
> Mike

You might be able to make adjustments to the convert.conf file to
enable native playback.  This will only work if you do not have any
older generation squeezebox players as they will not be able to
playback correctly.  This is probably why SBS defaults to transcoding
to FLAC.  Because ALAC and FLAC are both lossless, there is no harm in
this behavior.

--
SuperQ