lrossouw;614490 Wrote:
> foobar also now has hdcd decoder plugin that can be used to transcode
> hdcd to regular cd.

Yeah, I've been using that for ages.  It doesn't "transcode HDCD to
normal CD" though (whatever that means) - it plays it back as a proper
HDCD, and also means it can be re-encoded to a 24-bit file (20-bit +
4-bit padding). CUETools can do this also.

Thanks for all the replies - I've never had a problem playing HDCD rips
from my PC, but I was hoping for a firmware update for the Touch because
I always use it with the PC switched off and a hard drive connected
directly (the PC and Touch are both in the same room and I hate
listening to music with the noisy PC on). I was also hoping to avoid
having to re-encode all my HDCDs to 24-bit rips, but I'll have to take
the time to do it sometime.

As I mentioned earlier, maybe in the future some kind soul will release
an unofficial firmware update with HDCD compatibility.

--
Dave1972