Went in search on the forums to see if this was a common issue, as I
have had this happen frequently as well.  I have my Touch sync'ed to my
Boom.  The Boom will always be able to play, but often the Touch will go
silent (while still showing the proper playing information on screen).
I also have resorted to rebooting the Touch but will now simply turn
off/on which should make the issue slightly less painful.
It seems to happen more frequently when I stop the music for a while
and leave them sync'ed and then try to restart the music.

--
ChrisNY